Zapier lets you connect one app to another using ZAPs that helps in automating the workflow to a huge extent.
In this guide, we’ll take you through the process of posting directly on your Instagram Business profile with RecurPost and Zapier integration through a ZAP. This integration will enable you to upload single image updates and link updates directly on your account.
To get started, you need to log in into 3 accounts on your browser:
- RecurPost account – If you are not logged in already, click here.
- Zapier account – If you don’t have an account, create one from here.
- Instagram business account – A business account on Instagram is always connected to a Facebook page. Make sure you are the owner or admin of the Facebook page which is linked to the Instagram business account to enable direct posting.
After logging into all of these accounts, follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Go to your Zapier account.
You can upgrade the plans as per your needs, but here we are going to use a free plan.
Step 2: Creating a Zap
While we are working with Zapier to get RecurPost listed in their searchable list, you can get early access to our integration by going here.
- When you go to Zapier’s account, you can see a panel on the left-hand side of the screen. Click on the black button saying “Make a Zap”.
- A new window will open. Search for RecurPost from the list of apps available and select click on RecurPost’s icon.
- Next, choose “New update posted” as the triggered event.
- Click on Continue. If you are not signed in to your RecurPost account in the same browser, you can log in from this screen. Click on “Sign in to RecurPost”.
- In the pop-up window, you’ll be required to enter your “RecurPost API key for Zapier” and “email-address associated with RecurPost.” You can get your Recurpost API key by vising the account settings section. (https://recurpost.com/accountsettings)
- If you are already logged in to RecurPost account in another tab of your browser, it will automatically appear in the dropdown menu. After selecting your RecurPost account, click on Continue.
- Now is the time to automate postings on your Instagram Business account! In the “Customize update” section, click on “Select accounts” and all the socials accounts connected to your RecurPost will appear in the drop-down menu. Select your Instagram business profile from the list.
- Below this, there is a field saying ‘Include video update’. Now, this is a very crucial option to decide for posting your updates. If you wish to upload videos on your Instagram business profile, you need to select ‘True’ from the drop-down menu. If you select ‘False’ and then try to create a video update in the next steps, only the video thumbnail will get posted as an image on your Instagram account.
- Select your desired option (either True or False) and click on Continue. Click on “Test trigger” to make sure everything is set up and working properly.
- If there are any updates recently made or found, it will show up here. Click on continue.
Note: If there is no update found or you get an error, do not worry. Click on “Skip Test” and again “Skip Test” on the prompt and then click continue.
- You are now done with the trigger setup. In the next step, search for “Instagram for Business (Beta)” under “Choose an app” section.
- Choose “Publish Photo” as the action event and click on continue.
- Sign in to your Instagram Business profile using your Facebook ID and password. If you are already signed in, it will show up in the drop-down menu. Select your account and continue.
- In the “Customize Media” section, first select your Instagram business account. After that, the next step to map the required fields to enable successful update posting. In the photo tab, click on the text field to reveal a drop-down menu and then select “Image URL”. (Select “Video URL” in case of a video update. It will only show when you have selected ‘True’ in the ‘Include video update’ field.)
- Now click on the Caption field and select “Message” from the drop-down menu.
- Skip the sections of “Tagged users” and “Geolocation” and click on Continue.
- You can either click on “Skip Test” to avoid publishing a sample update to your actual Instagram business account or simply click on “Test and review”. Your ZAP is ready now! Turn it on by clicking on the “Turn on Zap” button. Finally, set the name of your ZAP.
- You can access your ZAP from the dashboard. To see all the updates automated by Zapier, go to “Task history” from the left-hand side panel.
Step 3: Start posting!
- Head back to RecurPost and start scheduling your updates.
- Zapier will check for new data from your trigger every 1 to 15 minutes in order to start your Zap, depending on your pricing plan. So if you’re on their free plan, it will take up to 15 minutes to post an update.
- You will keep receiving Instagram publishing reminders from RecurPost (only push notification on your mobile device), you can ignore them – but don’t ignore the ones for your Instagram personal account.
- Make sure to set the time zone in your Zapier account. From your dashboard, click on the profile icon on the top-right corner. From the drop-down menu, select “Settings.” In “My Profile” section, there will be the option to select your time zone. Also, cross check it with the time zone set in your RecurPost account. It should be the same at both places.
- Please do not ignore the Instagram publishing reminders regarding the Video and Gif updates that you have scheduled or published from RecurPost.
To know how to connect your RecurPost account to Zapier, click here.